Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Best Part

A few weeks ago I was watching Food Network late at night. They had this company on that does New England clambakes. Well, that's my kind of food. The food of my ancestors. So, I googled "RI, clambake, Sept., 2008" and found the same company (McGrath's) doing a clambake at Mount Hope Farm in Bristol, RI 15 minutes away from where we were staying. It was a foodie experience. Early in the morning they go out and collect rockweed off the cliffs in Newport. They build a fire with wooded pallets upon which they mound granite. When the fire dies, they put the rockweed on the granite. This special seaweed has pockets of saltwater that pop when hot. Next they layer the food on the stones then cover with lots of canvas tarps for two hours. They also make New England brown bread in coffee cans and steam it under some of the tarp layers. Great bread for Thanksgiving this year.



The Bake



The Unveiling

Oh my!


YUM!

The View.

No comments: